Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA/PIPA the end of the internet as we know it

This evening as I sit down to write my blog I thought there was no message more important than sharing about the plague that is spreading through the House of Representatives known and SOPA/PIPA (The Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect IP Act).  Most of the time I'm not a voice for politics, but in this case it would seem best to say something because this could actually change the way the internet functions worldwide.  I'm not saying such a change would be a bad thing, but for it to be changed this way would.

Censorship is a major concern in my eyes and that is really what this is about.  Folks in the entertainment industry would like to be able to stop losing money and so they are willing to censor what access we have to the internet in other countries to be able to do that.  Most of online piracy takes place by other countries because they are not restricted by our law here in the United States.  I know this because I have been overseas and been in stores where there is pirated material sold.

Now SOPA and PIPA are focused on Censoring what content you can get from other countries, but there are unintended effects that will also take place.  Because as a natural consequence, we would soon begin censoring what material we have access from folks in the United States.  And when we realize that the folks of the entertainment industry might begin suing companies that have brought people together such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google + because of the content that folks might put up there that might break a copyright law even vaguely.  It is at this point that it becomes a problem.


Now I'm not going to say that I know everything about these laws and their issues, but I figured the best thing I could do was to get you in contact with a few folks who would know more about what is going on.


These Websites Are Going Dark to Protest SOPA Wednesday


How you can Help Block PIPA & SOPA (Detailed Instructions) by Peter G. McDermott.


Informative video about what SOPA/PIPA will do to the internet and our ability to surf the web freely.


The Day the LOLCats died is a funny song about the dangers of SOPA.



Hopefully the few folks who come here might see this and realize what danger our freedom our potential knowledge is in.  Please become informed and contact you Senator about SOPA/PIPA.  Tell them to vote it down.  Please let me know what you think of this possible future in the comments below.  Thanks for reading.

P.S. In other news I managed to accomplish all of my goals concerning finishing a scene a day for several days now.  I have had to sometimes do my scenes all in a single day to catch up, but I am managing to keep up with my goal.







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...